When Times Get Tough
Every one of us has tough times in our life, so here are some ideas of what you can do when that happens. When things really get tough, go wrong and we feel knocked down by life, (and it happens to absolutely all of us), maybe we’re disappointed, have some failure, self-doubt, lack of self-confidence, whatever it may be – when times get tough, we have two choices, and this is what I want to talk about.
We can either keep focusing on what’s wrong and create more negative momentum, and then all we are doing is we are prolonging our bad experience. Sometimes it can go on so long it can lead to a feeling of being overwhelmed, cause anxiety and even depression. It can be really serious and quite dangerous if you don’t have a way to rectify it.
Here’s my tip for you.
When times get tough it’s an opportunity for you to grow. It is an opportunity for you to get stronger and tougher (more resilient). When times are tough, it is important to have the awareness that you have got negative thoughts going on (worry, fear, anxiety and indecision), and you need to act straight away. You need to take immediate action in your life to rectify it. So here are a few things you can do.
There are two types of meditation: Passive meditation, where you want to clear and still the mind and focus on your breath, or your belly going in and out or the tip of your nose. Then there is also Dynamic meditation which we do in the Silva Method where you actively engage the mind through visualisation and visualise the outcome that you want. When times are tough you should do both.
Why passive meditation?
- Because you need to slow down the negative momentum of worrying thoughts.
Why dynamic meditation?
- Because you need to visualise and make impressions on your subconscious mind of the outcome that you want. This is the only way that you can ever get there. Remember, what the mind can conceive and believe, it will achieve. To conceive means to make pictures in your mind, using visualisation.
Be vigilant when you have negative thoughts
- The other thing to do is to be very vigilant when you have negative thoughts. You cannot afford even one negative thought. As the negative thought comes in, and you are worried about the situation, use the words ‘Cancel Cancel’ and just say, “Everything is working out for me, everything is going to get better and better”. Just remind yourself that, “Positive thoughts give me benefits that I want, give me benefits that I desire and positive thoughts help me make things better”.
- Often when something goes wrong in your life we tend to focus only the wrong thing. There could be ten things going on and only one of them is wrong and we tend to focus on the one wrong thing. Bring your focus on to the other nine that are working for you. Just count your blessings; list them, count them and be grateful for them.
Tough times are always an opportunity for you to grow.
- Practice meditation both dynamically and passively
- Have positive thoughts and use the Cancel Cancel technique.
- Keep yourself positive.
Keep a positive mental attitude, even in tough times. I hope that’s been helpful. Have a wonderful day and God Bless.